Ah, the holiday season is upon us – where the days become muddled into endless blurs of boozy lunches, and are intertwined with hours long snoozes in front of the television. This week, the powerhouse that is Disney has just found a way to help see us through to the new year with the Investor’s Day announcement of 52 updates and upcoming projects.
The list of updates for 2021 and beyond reveals an extraordinary film and television landscape that exemplifies why the Walt Disney Company has such a long lasting cultural impact. Across Disney+, Hulu, FX on Hulu, National Geographic, Lucasfilm, Disney Animation, Pixar and Marvel Studios (phew, what a mouthful), the almost four-hour long presentation uncovered exciting details about projects including Thor: Love and Thunder, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, and the broadened horizon for the international market and streaming services.
Here’s a quick cheat-sheet of highlights from the announcements:
- Loki, the Tom Hiddleston led highly anticipated short series, has been greenlit for a May 2021 release date.
- Hawkeye will premier exclusively on Disney+ in late Fall next year.
- The third film in the Ant-Man series, titled Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania will see the return of all the main cast, as well as Jonathan Majors lined up to play Kang the Conqueror.
- Benedict Cumberbatch’s Doctor Strange universe will be weaved into the Spider-Man sequel and the upcoming WandaVision show releasing on Disney+ on January 15th.
- Marvel Studios has commenced development on a new Fantastic Four movie… (yeah, my thoughts exactly – do we really need this one??)
- Around ten Star Wars series are on its way to Disney+, including Star Wars: Andor starring Diego Luna, reprising his role from Rogue One
- The final installment in the Indiana Jones series is confirmed to be released in July 2022
- After over a decade, Hayden Christensen is returning as Darth Vader in Obi-Wan Kenobi. I REPEAT, Hayden Christensen is returning to the Star Wars universe!!!!
- Patty Jenkins, who most recently directed Wonder Woman 1984, has been confirmed to direct the next Star Wars movie, Rogue Squadron, due out in cinemas in December 2023.
One of the key announcements, however, was the confirmation that Disney will NOT be recasting the late Chadwick Boseman for the upcoming Black Panther 2. The bittersweet tribute to the former King T’Challa does not go unnoticed and demonstrates the devotion that Disney has for their fans and their company values.
Read on to see the full list of announcements from Disney’s Investor Day here.